At the Track

We'll note happenings at the national and local levels of racing.

Friday, May 9, 2014

I voted. DId you?

It's that time of year again.

Elections.

Not for public office. Although that is happening, too. I mean for the NASCAR Hall of Fame class of 2015!

I've never been shy about telling you who I cast my fan votes for to make it into the elite five each year.

Some never change - until they make the Hall. Then, I add new ones.

Here they are, in alphabetical order.

Fred Lorenzen. Did you know, he raced at Ona Speedway? Yep, and won there, too. It was 1963 and the first sanctioned NASCAR race there - it was called the Grand National tour then.

Next, a tug on the heartstrings for BP, Benny Parsons. On the track and off, a class act. He'd take time for you and make you feel like you were the only person in the room. You were the focus no matter how many were waiting behind to speak with him.

Wendell Scott. I'm going to vote for him until he's in the Hall. First African-American to win a race.

Rex White. A sweet soul. Like BP, would talk to you until you were finished. I had the opportunity to meet him at Charlotte Motor Speedway at an Official NASCAR Members Club event. He won the Grand National (now Sprint Cup) championship in 1960 and retired four years later.

Robert Yates. Legendary engine builder and a pretty darn good team owner. He retired from team ownership, but returned in 2010 to form Robert Yates Racing Engines. Yeah, you want one of these engines for your racing machine.

There you have it - my pics for the Hall. You can vote for a few more days - noon Tuesday May 20 is the fan deadline. Member voting is the next day with the announcement at 4 p.m.

Cast YOUR ballot - It's your sport and your Hall.


No comments: