At the Track

We'll note happenings at the national and local levels of racing.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Six years later...

It's been six years since I got back into stock car racing. It was a sad and unexpected event that brought me back.

Dale Earnhardt was killed in the last lap of the Daytona 500 Being the full-time obituary writer at The Herald-Dispatch, I was sent to write about the incident and talk to people about why they liked The Intimidator and racing.

So, I started watching again and was impressed with the precision driving (usually) and the remarkable pit stops. And the charitable efforts of the drivers, themselves, especially with Victory Junction Gang Camp. (More about VJGC in our web extra of "I (heart) NASCAR.)

Those guys change four tires and pack the fuel cell in 16 seconds. It takes AAA four hours to come unlock my keys from the car.

For his aggressive driving, Earnhardt was beloved by seemingly everyone. I have yet to hear anyone disrespect his driving. His memory is treated with honor.

I'm sorry I missed out on those years of watching that apparently awesome driver. But, there is DVD footage of him and a major motion picture in the works sanctioned by his family.

Well, folks, come join us gear- and chili-heads at Chili Willi's this afternoon for a day of world-class chili, terrific merchandise up for grabs and, of course, racin'.

Reach up there and pull those belts tight, boys!

Boogity, boogity, boogity, let's go racin'!

No comments: