At the Track

We'll note happenings at the national and local levels of racing.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Bah, Humbug...

The season is a week old, and I’m already thinking, Bah, Humbug. Buschwhackers.

I tolerate the Busch series. I'm liking the Craftsman Truck Series more and more.

I understand the sponsors want the marquee names in the Busch rides. But I wish the tier 2 races were for up and coming drivers getting seat time.

Look at the Orbitz 300 race, won by Kevin Harvick on Saturday. Yes he had a dominant car.

But to find a Busch series driver – not a Cup driver – you have to go to places 13, 14 and 15.

OK, here’s my idea. If you can find a sponsor, have a 3-tier car series. Cup, neo-Cup and Busch. Keep the big names in the Cup and neo-Cup races and let the guys and gals getting experience have the third series to themselves.

I don’t think it’s right – or fair – for the Busch regulars to have to compete so early with the Cup drivers and all their technical backing.

As to when to run the lower two races, Busch first then the marquee. That would put fans in the seats in the first race, waiting on the second. The sponsors get the name racers and people watching.

But, hey, it’s just my idea. And the hurdle is, of course, series sponsorship.

No comments: