At the Track

We'll note happenings at the national and local levels of racing.

Friday, January 19, 2007

What is a fan?

What makes a NASCAR fan?

Among the points of being a good fan are R-E-S-PECT; appreciation; passion for motorsports; and friendliness.

. I may not necessarily like a driver, but if he’s got the hardware, he’s got my respect. I may not like a driver, but if he’s a good driver and contributes his talent for a good race, he’s got my respect.

I think we all appreciate where drivers have come from and made it to, along with how they give back to the sport.

As an adult, the first races I watched were NASCAR, but since then, I’ve discovered a whole world of motorsports. There was a time if you said World of Outlaws, I’d have thought motorcycle club.

Age doesn’t matter, occupation doesn’t matter, and financial status doesn’t matter.

What is important is learning about the sport and it’s history and setting a good example at the track and off.

Real fans don’t boo drivers, cheer at wrecks or throw things toward the track.

Real fans cheer good driving and are concerned for the safety of those in wrecks.

And NASCAR fans are the friendliest group of fans in the country. At races I’ve made new friends. We keep in touch by e-mail and make plans to get together for a tailgate at the track. They’re nice folks. If you’re stuck in a parking lot and traffic is at gridlock, you hang out and talk, throw a few brats on the grill and wait it out together.

What do you think makes a good racefan? Let’s hear about it.

4 comments:

slingshot said...

Nascar fans are the best. I've met some wonderful people at the track. My favorite place to meet new people is the campground at Martinsville. It's like a city of it's own. You can walk around the campground and find all sorts of interesting people, food and drink, and games. People are just glad to see you and hope to see you again soon. Even if you couldn't afford tickets to the race it would be worth the trip to stay in the campground with all of the fans.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE DALE JR, WIN LOSE OR DRAW..HE IS THE MAN....WE LOVE HIM

Anonymous said...

DALE JR IS THE MAN AND ALSWAY WILL BE...HE IS THE GREATEST AND IS FOLLOWING IN THE FOOT STEPS OF HIS FATHER WHOM WE REALLY LOVED...AND WILL ALSWAY MISS HIM,,AS HE WAS THE GREATEST OF GREATS,,,

Anonymous said...

I LVOE RACING AS DOES MY FAMILY,,,.WE LOVE DALE JR. AS HE IS A GREAT DRIVER...HE SOME TOUGH CALLS BUT HE IS STILL THE MAN...WE LOVE HIM VERY MUCH..ALSO HAVE MEET HIM AND HE IS A LOVELY MAN,,