At the Track

We'll note happenings at the national and local levels of racing.

Monday, February 27, 2012

Daytona without the 500











I did everything at the Daytona 500 except see the Daytona 500.

Pit road, garages, driver meeting, fan zone, stood on the checkers, met Richard Petty and Leonard Wood, saw the pre-race Lenny Kravitz concert, was on the infield for driver introductions, thanked every military man and woman who passed by me in the parade trucks going to pick up the drivers, went to Victory Lane and watched a good bit of the Nationwide race on Saturday from Tony Stewart's pit.

In the area outside the track, I visited the Streamline Hotel where NASCAR all began, and drove my rental Mustang on Daytona Beach.




But after driver intros, the rains fell and so did my tears.


So, I flew back to West Virginia on Monday and watched the Daytona 500 from the warm, dry comfort of my living room.


But believe me when I write when DW tells you to crank up the volume, it really doesn't compare to the chest-rattling, breathtaking, ear-splitting sound of 42 cars with massive horsepower passing by at nearly 200 miles per hour.

That being said.

It was still a great week. Except for not seeing the actual big event.

As my friend Jeff said on Monday afternoon, "find that silver lining." Yep. I do.

No comments: