At the Track

We'll note happenings at the national and local levels of racing.

Monday, May 9, 2011

I would expect better than this

Oh, let's be real. No I don't. Not from Kyle Busch and not from Kevin Harvick.

The sad thing about the situation between them at Darlington this past weekend is they stole the spotlight from a really good story - Regan Smith’s first Sprint Cup win.

We didn’t get to see his victory burnout. We didn’t see him get the checkered flag in his hand for the first time in the Cup Series. Wait, he said he forgot to get it when the race was over. His mom missed the win, but she was rescuing animals in the southern states' flooding.

However, we did get to see the classy move of Carl Edwards as he bounded over to Regan Smith’s car, stuck his head in the window and congratulated Regan. We also got to hear Carl post race praise Smith.



That’s all we got to see of the winner because of two childish, immature acts.

And that's unfair to everyone, especially Regan Smith.



It looked like a game of cat and mouse between to rather hot-headed drivers, Kevin Harvick and Kyle Busch. And, probably, it’s been on the way for a while. Shoot, anyone and either of those drivers at any given race.

The SceneDaily story today said Kyle had no reverse after backing up when he missed the entrance to pit road, and NASCAR’s inspection found that yes, indeed, Busch had no reverse.

Kyle told SceneDaily:
"[Before he got out], I knew if I tried to turn left or right, he was going to run into me or block me or something," Busch said. "I just stayed behind him. I was just going to sit there, not worry about it and let him cool his head for a second and let him figure out that we just need to go back to the garage area.

"Instead of him doing that, he wanted to get out of his car. I guess and wanted to fight. When I saw him getting out of his car, I knew it wasn't going to be a good situation. My choices were limited. I was either going to get punched in the face and then wait for Harvick to get back in his car for me to go or just drive through his car and push it out of the way so I could get out of there and try not to get hit or anything like that."

Tuesday will tell what, if anything, will happen to which driver.

No comments: