At the Track

We'll note happenings at the national and local levels of racing.

Friday, July 13, 2007

Bye-bye Bud



Hendrick Motorsports announced a little while ago Dale Earnhardt Jr. won’t be bringing Budweiser with him to his new team next season.

Rick Hendrick said in a statement Friday afternoon "We have agreements in place with sponsors for the 2008 NASCAR Sprint Cup season, which prevent us from having a relationship with Budweiser," team owner Rick Hendrick said in a statement. "Honoring our commitments is important to us. The trade-off is missing an opportunity to bring Budweiser, a marquee brand synonymous with NASCAR and its fans, into the fold.

Bud will remain a major sponsor, just not for Junior.

Dang. And I love that “Mad Max” commercial. “Just ‘cause I got Bud ON the car doesn’t mean I got Bud IN the car,” he says to those "crazy mutant, desert, guys."

Junior weighed in on the matter, too.

NASCAR.com reported, "To climb into that red Budweiser car each weekend has always been a privilege," Earnhardt Jr. said. "Although Budweiser and I will be unable to continue our partnership beyond this season, I remain committed to driving for Bud the rest of this year, and will continue to make it my beer of choice.

"I'm a race car driver. All I can do is drive as hard as I can for my fans and sponsorship partners, and give my best effort each weekend."

ESPN.com is reporting Pepsi wants a shot at Junior and Budweiser is negoting to possibly sponsor Kasey Kahne's red #9 at Evernham.

Dang. More commercials messed up there, too. Those Nationwide stalker girls are pretty funny.

On Fast Talk a week or so ago, talk turned to cars, sponsors and numbers and how fans can separate them.

Not so sure there, either.

When you see the #2 Miller Lite car who do YOU think of? Rusty Wallace.

Ooops, he retired. It's Kurt Busch in there now.

#88? Dale Jarrett. Ooops, he's in a #44 Toyota. Still UPS, but #44. The list could go on and on.

No matter who drives the #8 or red Budweiser car, you'll think Dale Earnhardt Jr. You know you will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been an Earnhardt fan since the late 80’s. I will cheer for Dale Jr. to win regardless of number and sponsor and if he is out of contention, I will route for DEI. & Truex. Although I get the feeling that Jr. feels he deserves more than he has earned. I don’t think that just being the son and having the name entitles him to anything. Yes, Dale Jr. lost his father, but Teresa lost everything, she made a commitment to be Dale Sr’s partner, not only in business, but also in life, and I believe that devotion and commitment entitles her to what she and Dale built. Her hopes and dreams and every thing she and Dale worked for are gone, she has now had to start over. Jr’s life has just begun. I lost my mother at the age of nine and as bad as it was for me, I cannot imagine what my dad felt; everything they had built was gone in the blink of an eye. As my dad always said if you haven’t worn the shoes, do not smell the feet, or something like that.
My Response to Deb Williams letter at gofastnews.com